The problem of the Ethical Dilemma in Business Organization is a primary concern nowadays. But let us first try to understand the meaning of ethical dilemmas. It is a problem that often occurs in the process of decision-making. We usually make a decision when there are two options available to us. In the business organizations, these may be of the type which bears the following characteristics:
- These options are not acceptable from the point of ethical perspectives in a business.
- The options are contingent. That is, they may or may not possibly arise, but more often, they do occur in every business organization.
In our daily lives, we usually come across to face such kinds of ethical confusions, but more or less, we have solutions to them that are straightforward and take us on the right path. But in businesses, the answers are not available that easily. It requires much research and implementation before coming up with any final decision. This is known as Ethical Dilemmas in the business organization. We sometimes also call it as- ‘moral dilemma’ or ‘ethical paradox’ as well.
Some of the General Examples of Ethical Dilemmas
- Misusing the necessary and the most confidential information from inside the businesses in the outside market. The purpose is usually to earn profit for the self. Such kinds of people get paid for furnishing the company’s credentials and other important information. This is often known as the work of a whistleblower in the organization.
- Selling a product of insufficient quality to the client is another commonly ethical dilemma. It is pretty common among sellers to furnish inferior quality products to their customers. This usually happens during the situations when the buyer Bus things in larger quantities. Such conditions lead to the company’s wrong impression and don’t let it build a brand reputation.
- Many employees have the habit of stealing the credit of other employee’s hard work. During the team project, done the job hard while some just while away their time. But when it comes to the submission part of the business proposal presentation, they take up the credit of other’s work.
How Ethical issues affect Otherwise?
If we talk about any business house, these problems are very complex and complicated will finding their solutions. In short, it won’t be wrong to say that ethical issues cause such extreme challenges in the path of the business operations that reaching the stage of optimum answers becomes highly critical. The one department suffers because of it, but the whole organization becomes the victim to its harsh consequences. As we talked about earlier, the ethical dilemma does not restrict itself only to the business houses, but every person gets affected in one or the other way. The problems affect:
- Professional life
- Social Life and
- Personal life in every possible way.
The encounter to these problems is not easy at all. It stops all the work for once, and everything comes to a hair, causing chaos and confusion. But no worries. Here we will discuss the common problems that can arise in business organizations and their standard solutions to solve the issues.
What kinds of Ethical Dilemmas are likely to arise in the Business Organization?
Ethical dilemma in business organization have a complete and extreme impact on the professional life of an individual. Since these kinds of problems usually occur at the workplace, it can hamper the person’s growth in his respective profession. Almost every company nowadays follows a proper set of standards accompanied by a code of conduct. There is a separate department that ensures that every individual at the workplace adheres to these ethical laws with proper implementation. These professional organizations include CFA’s and many more related companies.
Rules and regulations mentioned in the course of conduct of every company get provided to each company member; it’s the business organization at the time of his/ her selection at work. There are strict instructions that if any person in this respective business organization violates any standards, it will lead to specific punishments by way of fines, deduction in the pay, sanctions related to discipline, or the company’s permanent banishment, etc.
Where can these Ethical Dilemmas occur at the Workplace?
These Ethical dilemmas can occur at any ground taking into consideration any possible source in the business organization. The reason can be so many that they even get missed out on the code of conduct because it is dependent on human behavior. It may occur between any department or maybe between the individuals even. Some of the other relationships possibly meet include the following:
- Between the employees or the co-workers
- Between the employee and the employer
- Among the members of Management
- Between the partners casting on the business
- Between the customer/ client and the seller/ management etc.
Common Ways to solve the Problem of Ethical Dilemma in Business Organization
In our ordinary lives, we may find a solution in one or the other way. But the work at business organizations involves so many complex situations because of the various human behavior involved. The employees belong to different sects, religions, backgrounds, and everyone had their mindset. So you never know what kind of problem may occur at what point in time. So there is no single solution that you can get as it gets concerned with the ethics and respective norms. Philosophers have been trying their best to find a solution to these issues since time immemorial. But they could only be done if the commons ways to solve these problems of Ethical dilemmas. There are specific approaches that they developed. So next time you stuck in such a situation, you must follow these approaches as given below:
- Analyzing and refuting the dilemma. On the careful analysis and scrutinizing the problem, try to deny it after studying it logically and practically.
- Choose the valuable option. It would help if you chose the option that offers more excellent value to the organization as a whole and is less dreadful.
- Last but not least, think of alternative solutions for the completion of work done more efficiently and effectively.